With more than thirty-five years of experience teaching students at all levels, Green Mountain Rug School offers traditional and contemporary rug-hooking classes annually, in June, in the heart of downtown Montpelier, Vermont at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. Classes range from wide-cut, primitive, and folk art to fine-cut, shading, pictorials, dyeing, and beginner's-level instruction. Teachers hail from all over the United States and Canada. A well-stocked rug supply shop is open daily.
Over the years, Green Mountain Rug School has cultivated an atmosphere that makes us special. We encourage a sense of community and fellowship with a spirit toward providing each student the room to expand their knowledge of rug hooking at their own pace. Here are some of things that we think make Green Mountain great:
- We are one of the largest Rug Hooking schools in the country. With 14 teachers and 200 students over 8 days! When you attend, you will be fully emerged in Rug Hooking and fiber. We have the entire hotel, so you will be surrounded by your peers who are also learning great things about rug hooking.
- We are one of the oldest Rug Hooking schools. Founded in 1982 by Anne Ashworth and Jean Armstrong, we have been around for almost 40 years!
- We are a 5th generation family business. The fifth generation (Cecely, Lindsay and Mariah) was born hook-in-hand, we grew up in this business and we care deeply about it. The 4th generation (Stephanie and Pam) is still involved spending their time teaching and guiding the younger generation.
- No kits. We encourage our teachers to teach you skills on your own project. We want our students to bring their own projects and learn techniques on a piece that they are invested in.
- We do not cancel classes due to low enrollment. If you are planning to travel from a distance or need to book a flight, you don't have to worry about your class being cancelled. Book away!
- The Gallery Walk - an opportunity to see what others are working on. One night during your session we reserve 2 hours for the students to go around and see what the other classes are working on and to meet the other teachers and see what they are teaching.
- We are your concierge. We take care of your hotel reservations so you can focus on preparing for your class.
The Location of Green Mountain Rug School
The Capitol Plaza Hotel & Conference Center
100 State Street, Montpelier, Vermont
Located near the beautiful State Capital's Golden Dome, on Historic State Street lies the Capitol Plaza Hotel & Conference Center. They offer over 60 guest rooms distributed between 4 floors, with an elevator at each end to accommodate. All the charm and splendor of Montpelier is reflected in each of their spacious rooms.
The Capitol Plaza is an independent and family owned hotel that strives to make Green Mountain Rug School feel like long-lost friends. All classrooms, unless otherwise noted, are located in the hotel as well as the grand ballroom that provides lunch to all student and breakfast and lunch to those staying overnight.
Green Mountain Rug School is located off of Exit 8 on I-89. There are 6 area airports you can use. If you decide to fly into Burlington we can typically help with ground transportation to the hotel. If you decide to fly into one of the other 5 airports, you will need to rent a car and drive. Remember - we don't cancel classes due to low enrollment, so you can book your flight and rest assured your class won't be canceled!